February 14, 2020

Carbon Monoxide Detectors provided to help Raymond families

The Raymond Fire Rescue Association has again been busy assisting Raymond families in need.  Following upon a project last year with the Portland Chapter of the American Red Cross to install smoke detectors, the department visited a number of families recently who were physically or financially unable to have carbon monoxide detectors.  

Raymond Fire and Rescue Association has partnered with the Raymond Village Community Church U.C.C. with money from the church’s Lou & Betty Somers Fund to install a number of detectors in Raymond. Thanks as well go to Lowe’s in Windham and the Raymond Lions for their assistance in getting this new and important project underway.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a killer at the top of the list of poisonings in the U.S., with around 400 deaths annually and 20,000 visits to the emergency room. The reason is that CO is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that cannot be detected without a home CO detector.

CO can issue from faulty heating units, generators, and other appliances that depend on hydrocarbon fuels. CO displaces the oxygen in the blood’s hemoglobin and can cause death if a person doesn’t quickly get out of the environment causing the CO. 

Typical symptoms are dizziness, headache, nausea, weakness for no apparent reason. While it can impact everyone including pets, infants, the elderly, and those with underlying medical issues are at especial risk.

CO detectors are available at hardware and home supply stores, and typically cost between $15 to $70, depending on model. These devices typically have a life span of seven to ten years, depending on model, and must be replaced because they become less sensitive to CO after that time period. It is generally recommended to consider those that plug into an AC outlet, but also have battery backup in case of a power failure. 

 If you are unable to afford or install these devices yourself, please call the Raymond Central Fire Station (207 655-1187) ask to be called by the fire prevention officer.

Submitted by Raymond Fire Rescue Association Member John Facella, jafacella@yahoo.com, 978-799-8900

No comments:

Post a Comment